Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Time for a change

School begins next week for thousands of young Papua New Guineas for whom the government has given a sub-standard education system.

While Prime Minister Sir Michael Somare and his cohorts can afford to send their children to expensive private schools in Australia and other countries, the majority of our people continue to suffer for lack of school fees for their children, and a sub-standard education system.

Sir Michael, now well past his use-by date, wanted independence so fast from Australia when Papua New Guinea wasn’t even prepared.

Now we are paying a costly price!

The country has churned out a whole generation of ill-educated, half-baked graduates from our education system,

Our health system has likewise floundered.

Sir Michael and his cohorts can afford expensive health services in Australia and other countries.

They don’t even trust our health system any more.

Health services were so much better in the 1970’s when we were under Australian rule.

Basically everything in this country has gone backward!

Now Sir Michael and his cohorts and children have bought expensive homes for themselves in Australia.

They don’t want to live in Papua New Guinea anymore!

 

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:39 PM

    Malum.

    My baby sister called me this morning at 5am when I was still sleeping asking me to send her K1,300. for her Grade 11 fee. She cried on the phone. I share the pain that she feels. She wants a school because I am happy she knows that her future is secured through education. Now, the school she will do her Grade 11 is in a trouble zone in WHP. I am so concerned about her safety. I also know that the school does not have proper library, or just a building with no books. No computers and other necessary staff you would expect in a school.

    My dad is poor. Including my mum. I went to a school in the remote Tambul. Woke up at 5am, roasted kaukau over the fire, had with cold water, no proper shower, torn clothes on my body, and attended Grade 1 to 6 at Alkena Primary School. I was accepted to do Grade 7 at Tambul High School. When students from well to do family came with good clothes and shoe, I was with my same old dirty clothes, smell of smoke from fire.

    I tried so hard in school, and been to several countries, and now in China.

    Malum, what am I saying here? Some of us are working very hard to be where we are, but where is the guarantee that we will get a better job. And for those, like my poor sister whom I will pay her K1,300 for a school fee should be safe at the school with good facilities provided by the government. Parents are paying huge sums of money for their children for better future, when yet, our politicians and well to do run down the country and consequently hate our education system and send their children overseas. I went to school with some of these politicians children in Japan, Fiji and now in China and you know what? "They are stupid, they do not know how to ask a question in class. But when you talk about party, they are good and I think they are well trained for service industries like Hotels and toursim industries to be good PR people. But mind you, some or most do not have manners.

    Are we really serious that we love PNG, Mr Chief Somare?


    Mathew Yakai
    China

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally concur.

    Malum

    ReplyDelete