Monday, December 21, 2009

New coffee CEO assured of support

A contestant for the position of chief executive officer of the Coffee Industry Corporation has welcomed new CEO Navu Anis and vowed to work closely with him for the development of the industry.

Former CIC chief scientist Potaisa Hombunaka, who was in the running for the position together with Mr Anis and former CEO Ricky Mitio, urged Mr Mitio and the CIC board not to take legal action against last week’s National Executive Council decision.

“As a contender for the position, I wish to congratulate Navu Anis,” Mr Hombunaka told me from Goroka today.

“I’m looking forward to working with him and see the coffee industry grow to the next level.

“I also pay tribute to my former boss, Mr Mitio, for his heart for the industry and for driving the industry for the last 33 years.

“However, I suppose it’s now time for new blood to take over, and drive the industry to the next level.”

Commenting on the Regulatory Statutory Authorities Act, which Mr Mitio had complained about, Mr Hombunaka said: “The National Executive Council has made the appointment and the CIC board should work with Navu Anis to drive the industry forward.

“I’ve read the RSA Act, and as far as I’m concerned, the acting Agriculture Minister Andrew Kumbakor has acted in his powers to sponsor the NEC submission.”

Mr Hombunaka, a career coffee officer, said his services would be available if the CIC required.

“My Christmas and New Year greetings to all coffee industry stakeholders in the country,” he said.

“If the CIC requires my services, I’m available.”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment